As your dietary habits change, we all to often forget to think about the impact on your teeth. Here is what your Family Dentist in Breskau has to say about that.
- Calcium-rich foods such as dairy, fortified soy drinks, tofu, canned or fresh salmon, almonds (not salted), kale and other dark leafy greens
- Phosphorus-rich foods such as eggs, fish, lean meat, dairy, nuts and beans
- Vitamin C rich foods such as strawberries, citrus, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, spinach, thyme and parsley
- All fruit and raw vegetables
Tip: Eat sugary foods with meals as there is increased saliva in the mouth to wash the sugar away from the teeth. Drinking water with sugary foods further helps wash the sugar away!
- Sticky, chewy foods that stay in the mouth for a long time (toffee, raisins, rolled up fruit snacks, candy, granola bars, chocolates etc.)
- Fruit teas that have a high level of acid such as ginger and lemon or berry flavours
- Acidic foods such as salt and vinegar chips
- Frequent snacking doesn’t allow enough saliva to form to keep your teeth clean
- Sipping lemon or lime water that exposes your teeth to acid for prolonged periods – sugar-free drinks can be as bad for tooth erosion as sugared beverages as they are highly acidic and can erode enamel
- Candy, mints and lozenges that stay in the mouth continue to coat the tooth’s surface with sugar
Tooth enamel is super strong – stronger than bone! It erodes over time if you don’t take care of it leading to stains, sensitivity, rough edges, tooth decay and fractured teeth.
The Canadian Dental Association site is a great source for more information.
If you have any questions about the health of your teeth or any of our services, please get in touch with us at your Family Dentist in Breslau today. Call 519-648-3888 or make an appointment for a no obligation consultation.